Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Naomi Watts joins cast of the drama ‘Emmanuelle’

Variety has confirmed that Naomi Watts has joined the cast of Audrey Diwan‘s highly-anticipated erotic drama, “Emmanuelle.”  The film is inspired by Emmanuelle Arsan’s novel and is based on a script co-developed by Diwan and Rebecca Zlotowski (“Other People’s Children”). The book centers on a woman and the series of erotic fantasies that she entertains. It was previously made into a 1974 film of the same name, directed by Just Jaeckin and starring Sylvia Kristel, which became a cult hit.

Watts revealed the news after posting a (now-deleted) Instagram Story with “Emmanuelle” co-star Noemie Merlant. Merlant plays the titular role in “Emmanuelle”, with the rest of the cast comprised of Will Sharpe (“The White Lotus”), Jamie Campbell Bower (“Stranger Things”), Chacha Huang (“Money Heist”) and Anthony Wong (“Infernal Affairs”).

Editorial credit: lev radin / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Janet Jackson announces summer tour dates feature special guest Nelly

Janet Jackson has announced her 2024 “Together Again” concert tour, featuring special guest Nelly. Nearly one year after announcing her return to the road with her ninth concert tour, Jackson will now embark on a 35-date run across the United States beginning on June 4 in California’s Acrisure Arena, making stops in Los Angeles, Chicago, Denver, Cleveland, Brooklyn and New Jersey before wrapping-up on July 30 in Arizona’s Footprint Center.

The “Together Again” tour was launched in celebration of Jackson’s 50th anniversary in music, and it honors the milestones for three of her most critically acclaimed albums: 25 years of “The Velvet Rope,” 30 years of “janet,” and 35 years of “Rhythm Nation.”

Tickets for the ‘Together Again’ tour are available now via LiveNation.com.

Editorial credit: Jamie Lamor Thompson / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

Texas man pleads guilty to kidnapping teen found in California with a “Help Me!” note

Federal prosecutors said that a Texas man has pleaded guilty to kidnapping a 13-year-old girl at gunpoint from a San Antonio stree, who was later rescued in Southern California when a passerby saw her hold up a “Help Me!” sign in a parked car. The girl was rescued July 9 in Long Beach, south of Los Angeles, after a passerby called 911 to report seeing her hold up the piece of paper with the handwritten plea for help.

An FBI agent wrote in an affidavit supporting the criminal complaint that the girl was walking down a street in San Antonio on July 6 when the suspect, Steven Robert Sablan, 62, drove up with a black handgun and told her, “If you don’t get in the car with me, I am going to hurt you.” Sablan had no legal custody or familial relationship to the teenage girl, authorities said. The U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Central District of California said Sablan, of Cleburne, Texas, admitted in a plea agreement that he sexually assaulted the victim multiple times while driving her 1,300-miles from Texas to California.

On July 9, Sablan parked at a laundromat in Long Beach to wash clothes. The girl was left in the car and scribbled the note with the words “Help me!” flashing the sign in the window. Prosecutors said a “good Samaritan” dialed 911, alerting Long Beach police to the location.

Sablan, who has been in federal custody since July 2023, pleaded guilty to one count of kidnapping, prosecutors said. Upon Sablan’s arrest in California, police said they recovered a plastic BB handgun, handcuffs and a knife. In July, Sablan was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of kidnapping and transportation of a minor with intent to engage in criminal sexual activity. Authorities determined Sablan had an outstanding warrant for his arrest related to a burglary charge in Fort Worth, and he had twice been convicted of robbery with a deadly weapon and possession of a controlled substance.

Sablan is being held in a federal detention center in Los Angeles; he faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 20 years in prison and up to life in prison. A sentencing hearing is set for Oct. 25.

Editorial credit: makeitdouble / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis suspends presidential campaign, endorses Donald Trump

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis suspended his presidential campaign on Sunday, just two days before the New Hampshire primary, and endorsed former president Donald Trump.

DeSantis made the announcement in a video on X, which he captioned: ““Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” – Winston Churchill”

In the video, DeSantis said: “Now, following our second-place finish in Iowa, we’ve prayed and deliberated on the way forward. If there was anything I could do to produce a favorable outcome, more campaign stops, more interviews, I would do it. But I can’t ask our supporters to volunteer their time and donate their resources. We don’t have a clear path to victory. Accordingly, I am today suspending my campaign. It’s clear to me that a majority of Republican primary voters want to give Donald Trump another chance. He has my endorsement because we can’t go back to the old Republican guard of yesteryear, or repackage formed of warmed-over corporatism that Nikki Haley represents.”

DeSantis originally positioned himself as an alternative to Trump, however, was unable to capture support from Rebpulicans. DeSantis entered the Republican presidential race after achieving a blowout 2022 re-election win in Florida, but was only able to take a distant second-place finish in the Iowa caucuses. DeSantis has two years remaining in his second and final term as the governor of Florida.

Editorial credit: The Old Major / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Country Daypop

Tyler Childers pays tribute to John Prine on ‘ACL Hall of Fame’ special

New episodes of the long-running live-music series Austin City Limits are back, starting with a show devoted to John Prine’s posthumous induction into the ACL Hall of Fame (Prine made eight separate appearances on Austin City Limits over the course of his career.) Prine’s induction into the ACL Hall was originally set to happen a few years ago; he died from complications of Covid-19 in 2020.

Ethan Hawke inducts Prine into the ACL Hall of Fame broadcast, with artists including Tyler Childers, Valerie June, Nathaniel Rateliff, Allison Russell, Kurt Vile, and Prine’s son, Tommy Prine adding to the tribute. Childers later returns for the all-star finale, a collaborative performance of “Paradise” delivered by June, Rateliff, Russell, Vile, and Prine.

Terry Lickona, ACL executive producer, said in a statement: “We had planned to induct John into the ACL Hall of Fame in 2020, before he tragically became an early victim of the Covid pandemic. There were many well-deserved tributes at the time, but this year finally felt like the right moment to recognize his long history with ACL. Working closely with John’s family, we created a special celebration of his impact on singers and songwriters across so many genres.”

The John Prine celebration episode is currently streaming online via PBS.  You can take a look at Childers’ performance: here.

Editorial credit: Ben Houdijk / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Reba McEntire, Post Malone, Andra Day announced for Super Bowl LVIII Pre-Game Performances

The NFL announced that Reba McEntire, Post Malone and Andra Day will kick off this year’s Super Bowl LVIII in Las Vegas with pre-game performances. RocNation posted on its socials that McEntire will sing the national anthem, Malone will perform “America the Beautiful,” and Day will perform “Lift Every Voice and Sing.”

Super Bowl LVIII will be played at Allegiant Stadium on Sunday, Feb. 11. The NFL previously announced Usher will headline the Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show, which will be produced by DPS with Roc Nation and Jesse Collins serving as executive producers, and Hamish Hamilton and Shawn Carter serving as directors.

Emmy Award-winning musical director/producer Adam Blackstone will produce and arrange the national anthem and “Lift Every Voice and Sing.” Both the pregame and the Halftime shows will feature American Sign Language performances.

The big game will be broadcast on CBS (Feb. 11, 6:30 p.m. ET kickoff) and there will be an alternative broadcast on Nickelodeon. Football fans can also stream the game on Paramount+.

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Country Daypop

Reba McEntire, Post Malone, Andra Day announced for Super Bowl LVIII Pre-Game Performances

The NFL announced that Reba McEntire, Post Malone and Andra Day will kick off this year’s Super Bowl LVIII in Las Vegas with pre-game performances. RocNation posted on its socials that McEntire will sing the national anthem, Malone will perform “America the Beautiful,” and Day will perform “Lift Every Voice and Sing.”

Super Bowl LVIII will be played at Allegiant Stadium on Sunday, Feb. 11. The NFL previously announced Usher will headline the Apple Music Super Bowl Halftime Show, which will be produced by DPS with Roc Nation and Jesse Collins serving as executive producers, and Hamish Hamilton and Shawn Carter serving as directors.

Emmy Award-winning musical director/producer Adam Blackstone will produce and arrange the national anthem and “Lift Every Voice and Sing.” Both the pregame and the Halftime shows will feature American Sign Language performances.

The big game will be broadcast on CBS (Feb. 11, 6:30 p.m. ET kickoff) and there will be an alternative broadcast on Nickelodeon. Football fans can also stream the game on Paramount+.

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Jennifer Lopez drops video for new song, shares trailer for ‘This Is Me… Now: A Love Story’

Jennifer Lopez has shared the video for “Can’t Get Enough”, the first single from her upcoming album, This Is Me…Now. “Can’t Get Enough” is a collaboration between Lopez and Rogét Chahayed, HitBoy, and Jeff “Gitty” Gitelman.

The video, directed by Lopez with Dave Meyers, is part of Lopez’s upcoming Amazon Original film ‘This Is Me… Now: A Love Story’ coming to Prime Video on February 16. JLO just released a trailer for the film, sharing it on social media with the caption: ‘I have not been this nervous, excited, scared and thrilled to share something with you in years!! The story of the journey from This Is Me…Then to This Is Me…Now is the most personal thing I’ve ever done. The musical experience continues February 16 when This Is Me…Now the album drops and This Is Me…Now: A Love Story, my new Amazon Original, is streaming on Prime Video. Watch the trailer…NOW.’

Lopez stars alongside Fat Joe, Trevor Noah, Kim Petras, Post Malone, Keke Palmer, Sofia Vergara, Jenifer Lewis, Jay Shetty, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Sadhguru, Derek Hough and her husband, actor Ben Affleck in This is Me Now: A Love Story. The film is described as “a narrative-driven cinematic odyssey, steeped in mythological storytelling and personal healing”. The “genre-bending Amazon original” showcases Lopez’s “journey to love through her own eyes” and gives “an introspective retrospective of Jennifer’s resilient heart.”

Lopez’s new album, ‘This Is Me…Now’ is the sequel to her 2002 album, ‘This Is Me… Then’, and includes a new song called “Dear Ben, Pt. II” (a follow-up to the 2002 song “Dear Ben”, written for her now-husband, Ben Affleck). The album will also drop on Feb. 16.

Take a look at the video for ‘Can’t Get Enough’ – here.
Check out the trailer for the Amazon Original film ‘This Is Me… Now: A Love Story’ – here.

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

Justice Department report calls police response to mass shooting at Uvalde school a ‘failure’

On Thursday, the Justice Department said that children’s lives may have been saved if officers had responded differently to a gunman who opened fire in the 2022 mass shooting at Robb Elementary School, which killed 21 people, including 19 students. Attorney General Merrick Garland said during a news conference that delays caused by a lack of leadership, training and tactics led to a police response “failure” in the mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas.

While detailing the findings of the U.S. Justice Department’s critical incident review of the tragedy, Garland said “the law enforcement response at Robb Elementary School on May 24, 2022, and in the hours and days after, was a failure that should not have happened … As I told families and survivors last night, the department’s review concluded that a series of major failures, failures in leadership, in tactics, in communication, in training and in preparedness were made by law enforcement and others responding to the shooting at Robb Elementary. As a consequence of failed leadership, training and policies, injured and scared students and teachers remained trapped in the classroom with the subject waiting to be rescued.”

The 600-page report, which documented a series of police missteps during the more than an hour that authorities waited to rush into the classroom, said that ooor coordination, training and execution of active shooter protocol contributed to a law enforcement response that can only be described as a “failure.” The investigation found that Uvalde police officers had received improper active shooter training in the months leading up to the attack, and they were erroneously taught that “an active shooter event can easily morph into a hostage crisis.”

The findings describe a chaotic scene that should have triggered several coordinated responses by law enforcement officers who first arrived at the school. Instead, a dearth of leadership contributed to officers failing to recognize an active shooter and waiting far too long to engage the gunman. The report said: “The resulting delay provided an opportunity for the active shooter to have additional time to reassess and reengage his deadly actions inside the classroom. It also contributed to a delay in medical interventions with the potential to impact survivability.”

The Justice Department collected more than 13,000 items for review and analysis, including policies, procedures and training materials from responding agencies; manuals; and hours of video, photos and interview transcripts. The DOJ said that there were at least 10 “stimulus events” over the span of more than an hour that could have driven law enforcement officers to take steps under active shooter protocols to “immediately stop the killing … During that period, no one assumed a leadership role to direct the response towards the active shooter, provide situational status to responding officers, establish some form of incident command, or clearly assume and communicate the role of incident commander.”

Editorial credit: Jinitzail Hernandez/ Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

Suspect arrested in murder of prominent N.Y. art dealer stabbed to death in Brazil

Police said on Thursday that a suspect has been arrested in the murder of an American art dealer in Brazil, who was the co-owner of a prominent gallery in Manhattan. Brent Sikkema, 75, was found dead on Monday with 18 stab wounds in his Rio de Janeiro apartment.

Police in Rio de Janeiro arrested the suspect, identified as Alejandro Triana Trevez, near the city of Uberaba, in the neighboring state of Minas Gerais. The man, who according to local media is Cuban, was on the run and was found at a gas station. Detective Felipe Curi, who leads the state police homicide unit, told CBN Rio that the main line of investigation is theft leading to homicide, as Trevez allegedly took $3,000 from Sikkema’s home.  Curi said: “Initial findings of our investigation indicate that Alejandro (Trevez) came from Sao Paulo specifically to commit this crime.” He then returned to Sao Paulo, leading investigators to believe he had “some kind of privileged information.” Law enforcement obtained a 30-day prison warrant against Trevez, which Curi said would allow them to answer questions as to whether the two men knew each other.

Sikkema began his career in 1971 at the Visual Studies Workshop in Rochester, New York, where he worked as director of exhibitions. He opened his first gallery in 1976 in Boston.  He currently co-owned Sikkema Jenkins & Co., originally founded in 1991, which shows works by Jeffrey Gibson, Arturo Herrera, Sheila Hicks, Vik Muniz, Kara Walker and other artists, located on 22nd Street in New York near the Chelsea Piers.

Editorial credit: Leandro Marques / Shutterstock.com