Categories
News Daypop

Asa Hutchinson drops out of GOP presidential race after last-place finish in Iowa

Former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson announced Tuesday that he is suspending his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, after coming in last place at the Iowa caucuses. Hutchinson earned just 0.2% of the vote in Monday’s caucuses, finishing a distant sixth place.

Hutchinson, who ran an anti-Trump campaign, said in a statement: “My message of being a principled Republican with experience and telling the truth about the current front-runner did not sell in Iowa. I stand by the campaign I ran.” The former Arkansas governor spent much of his campaign in Iowa and New Hampshire, where he was a vocal critic of Trump, even suggesting that the former president might be disqualified from running in 2024 under the 14th Amendment to the Constitution, which has a provision barring candidates who have engaged in insurrection. Hutchinson said last year in an interview with NBC News: “Whenever you’re looking at four indictments, and the fact that not everybody can recite what each of those indictments entail, they know this is not good for our country, and that no one under that kind of pressure can lead our country, particularly with a mindset that he wants to get revenge as the next president. And so if anyone should drop out, it should be Donald Trump.”

Hutchinson highlighted his two terms as Arkansas governor while campaigning, as well as touting prior leading roles at the Drug Enforcement Administration and Department of Homeland Security in the George W. Bush administration. Hutchinson also criticized the Biden administration’s economic and border policies while calling for the U.S. to become more energy independent. And while Hutchinson reached the Republican National Committee’s polling threshold to qualify for the party’s first debate in Milwaukee in August, he did not meet the higher polling requirements for subsequent debates.

Editorial credit: Aaron of L.A. Photography / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

Long Island serial killer suspect Rex Heuermann charged with fourth Gilgo Beach murder

The suspect in the Gilgo Beach killings in Long Island was charged with the murder of a fourth victim on Tuesday. On Jan. 16, the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office announced that 60-year-old Rex Heuermann, a former architect from Massapequa Park, had been linked to the killing of Maureen Brainard-Barnes through DNA evidence and has been charged with second-degree murder. Defense attorney Michael Brown entered a not guilty plea on Heuermann’s behalf.

Brainard-Barnes was last seen on July 9, 2007, in New York City after checking out from a Super 8 Motel. She was found bound with three leather belts, one of which was used to tie her ankles, and was among three other women found buried in the same desolate, marsh area in Gilgo Beach in Long Island, N.Y., in December 2010, all within about 500 feet of each other. The other victims were previously identified as Amber Costello, Melissa Barthelemy and Megan Waterman. All four women had worked as online sex workers and were missing between 2007-2010. Heuermann, who was previously charged with the murders of Costello, Barthelemy and Waterman in July, has pleaded not guilty to those murders.

Prosecutors claimed in Tuesday’s filing that burner phones were discovered that connected Heuermann to online searches for sex workers as well as porn searches, audio accounts of rape and a search that read: “autopsy photos of female.” He allegedly used the alias “Andy” to communicate with sex workers online. Prosecutors further alleged that Heuermann was alone while his now-estranged wife was out of town with their children when Brainard-Barnes was killed in July 2007. Prosecutors said in the court documents released Tuesday that this fit a pattern of Heuermann being alone during the other alleged murders which granted him “unfettered time to execute his plans for each victim without any fear that his family would uncover or learn of his involvement in these crimes.” Heuermann was allegedly linked to the previous three cases by other burner phones, which were used to arrange meetings with the victims, as well as by a piece of his hair allegedly found at the bottom of a burlap bag used to wrap Waterman’s body. He was also traced to a Chevrolet Avalanche registered to him that was allegedly seen at the time of Costello’s disappearance. In searches, authorities also found evidence that Heuermann was allegedly obsessed with the case and searched for articles about the task force that was formed to investigate the murders. Investigators also allegedly found hundreds of internet searches about raping and torturing women, child porn and rape porn as well as searches for his victims and their families.

Editorial credit: WoodysPhotos / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Country Daypop

Morgan Wallen teases unreleased new song titled “I Guess”

Morgan Wallen has shared an unreleased new song, titled “I Guess,” in what is expected to be a part of his forthcoming, yet-to-be announced new album.

Wallen took to his Instagram to share a teaser of the new song he’s working on, featuring a work tape of an acoustic track that finds Wallen reflecting on a breakup, where the demise of the relationship was blamed on him. Wallen questions why his ex fell in love with him in the first place in the song, and if he is such a “problem” – while also pointing out her flaws. Later as the tune continues (which seemingly features background vocals from ERNEST), he recalls the dynamics of the romance and wonders if he is truly the reason for the breakup, or if his ex played a larger role in ultimately ending their relationship.

Wallen is getting ready to kick off his headlining “One Night At A Time 2024 Tour” in early April, with guests stars including Bailey Zimmerman, Jelly Roll, Jon Pardi, Lainey Wilson, Nate Smith, Bryan Martin, Lauren Watkins and Ella Langley on select dates. Wallen will play back-to-back nights at each tour stop, including three consecutive shows at Nissan Stadium in Downtown Nashville, Tennessee. The One Night At A Time 2024 Tour includes stops in Indiana, Colorado, Florida, Texas and more, before coming to a close on August 9 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Take a listen to Wallen’s “I Guess” – here.

Editorial credit: Tony Norkus / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Country Daypop

Luke Combs headlining ‘Big Game Bash’ at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas on Super Bowl weekend

Country music star Luke Combs will headline BetMGM’s “Big Game Bash” on the Las Vegas Strip, with Bet MGM announcing that Combs will perform at The Chelsea at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas on Saturday, Feb. 10, one day before Super Bowl LVII.

BetMGM CEO Adam Greenblatt shared in a statement: “First-class entertainment and Las Vegas are at the core of the BetMGM brand, and this Luke Combs concert will be a highlight of the weekend’s marquee entertainment events. It is part of our full-scale efforts to deliver memorable experiences for fans who are in town for the momentous Big Game.”

Combs is the latest musician announced as a headliner over Super Bowl weekend.  Other acts set to perform including Wu-Tang Clan, T-Pain, U2, Meek Mill, Chris Brown, Chris Lane and The Offspring.’

Tickets start at $400, plus taxes and fees, and are on sale now exclusively through the BetMGM app. For more information, follow @BetMGM on X.

Luke Combs to headline BetMGM Big Game Bash

Editorial credit: ChrisJamesRyanPhotography / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Simu Liu to host 2024 People’s Choice Awards

NBC, Peacock and E! announced that Simu Liu will host the 2024 People’s Choice Awards in February, posting on its socials: 🚨 Mark your calendars 🚨 @simuliu is hosting the People’s Choice Awards on 2/18! Oh yeah, and he’s also nominated for Movie Performance of the year! ⭐ Save the date to tune in for a legendary night, only on @nbc, @peacock & @eentertainment! #PCAs”

Liu, who played a ‘Ken’ in Barbie, is best known for starring in Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. He is also nominated in the Movie Performance category for his role in Barbie. The People’s Choice Awards is a fan-voted awards show recognizing entertainers in film, television, music and more. New categories this year include Male Country Artist, Female Country Artist, Male Latin Artist, Female Latin artist and Concert Tour, with voting currently open.

Liu said in a press release: “I’m so grateful to have been asked to step up to the hosting plate for the 2024 ‘People’s Choice Awards’. It’s exciting to celebrate this incredible year in pop culture, and to do so with the incredible fans that make what we do possible.” NBCUniversal Entertainment EVP of live events and specials Jen Neal added: “We’re thrilled to have Simu Liu host the 2024 ‘People’s Choice Awards.’ As a fan-favorite tour de force in Hollywood, Simu’s limitless charm and connection to fans perfectly embody the spirit of this awards show.”

The 49th annual People’s Choice Awards will take place Feb. 18 at Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, Calif., and air at 8 p.m. EST on NBC, Peacock and E!

Editorial credit: DFree / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

“Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” becomes highest-grossing concert film of all time

Taylor Swift has earned another milestone with the release of her film “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” to North American theaters on October 13, 2023. “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” movie is officially the highest-grossing film in box office history among concert and documentary films with more than $261.6 million earned globally.

“The Eras Tour” now becomes the highest-grossing concert film, unseating previous record holder “Michael Jackson’s This Is It,” which opened in 2009 and grossed $261.2 million at the global box office. Upon its release in October, “The Eras Tour” made $92.8 million in North America and $30.7 million internationally for a cumulative total of $123.5 million, making it the biggest start of all time for a concert film. It unseated 2011’s “Justin Bieber: Never Say Never,” which earned $73 million in that same timeframe.

Instead of opting for distribution from a major studio, Swift partnered with AMC Theatres, the world’s largest cinema chain, which allowed Swift (a producer on the movie) to earn about 57% of ticket sales, while theaters kept the remaining revenue and AMC took a small distribution fee. AMC didn’t exclusively screen the film, though, as it played in 3,855 theaters throughout the U.S. and Canada and 4,527 venues internationally.

AMC Chairman and CEO Adam Aron said of Swift’s latest accomplishment: “On behalf of all of us at AMC Theatres, I send my congratulations and eternal gratitude to Taylor Swift for her remarkable and record-setting box office performance with ‘Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour‘ concert film. Her spectacular performance delighted fans around the world and serves as another strong reminder about the power of extraordinary filmmaking and magic of movie theaters.”

Swift plans to resume her Eras Tour on Feb. 7 with a four-night stint at the Tokyo Dome in Japan. She’ll tour the world throughout the year, concluding the trek in Vancouver, BC in December.

Editorial credit: DFree / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

Iowa Caucuses 2024: Donald Trump wins caucus; while Ramaswamy suspends campaign

With about 100% of counties reported, former President Donald Trump won Iowa’s caucus on Monday. Trump held 51% of the vote, more than 56,000 votes, while Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis earned 21.2% and former U.N. ambassador Nikki Haley had 19.1%. Forty delegates are at stake in Iowa, and Trump is expected to earn 17 or more of them. To win the Republican nomination a candidate must secure at least 1,215 delegates. Haley held an advantage over DeSantis in Johnson and Story County, where the University of Iowa and Iowa State University are located. She also earned the second-most votes in Dallas and Linn County.

Entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy earned the third-most votes in Buchanan County, however during his watch party Ramaswamy announced that he is suspending his campaign: “There is no path for me to be the next president absent things we don’t want to see happen in this country.”

The turnout was low in comparison to 2016, when more than 186,000 caucused. Monday’s turnout was about 102,000 with a majority of the most-populated counties reported.The winner of Monday’s caucus will not necessarily become the Republican nominee for president, but performing well in Iowa can give a campaign momentum moving forward. The New Hampshire primary will be held on Tuesday, Jan. 23.

Editorial credit: Red Lemon / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

2023 Emmy Awards: See the full list of winners

The long-awaited 2023 Primetime Emmy Awards were held at the Peacock Theater in Los Angeles on Monday, January 15, hosted by Anthony Anderson airing live on FOX. Nominations were announced in July 2023, and the Emmys were initially set to be held two months later. However, the ceremony was delayed due to the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes.

HBO’s Succession dominated the Emmys, taking home a total of six trophies including co-stars Sarah Snook, Kieran Culkin and Matthew MacFadyen earning the Best Actress, Actor and Supporting Actor in a Drama, respectively. The show also won the Emmys for Best Drama, Best Writing and Directing in a Drama. Additional acting awards in drama went to Jennifer Coolidge, who won the Emmy for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama for White Lotus.

The Bear also earned six statuettes, topping the comedy category with additional awards for Jeremy Allen White, Ayo Edebiri and Ebon Moss-Bachrach. White, Edebiri and Moss-Bachrach scored the Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress and Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy prizes, and the show also won for Best Comedy, as well as Best Writing and Best Directing for a Comedy.

Dead to Me alum hristina Applegate earned a standing ovation as she took the stage with assistance to present Edebiri with her statuette. Applegate, a breast cancer survivor, has been battling multiple sclerosis since 2021.

Quinta Brunson won Best Actress in a Comedy for Abbott Elementary, and Beef was named the year’s best limited or anthology series, and actors Ali Wong and Steven Yeun both earned Emmys for their work.

Finally, the legendary Elton John won his first-ever Emmy Award, making him an official EGOT honoree.

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

Trump attorney Joe Tacopina withdraws from Manhattan legal team

Joseph Tacopina, an attorney on former U.S. President Donald Trump’s legal team who is known for representing high-profile clients, is withdrawing from Trump’s cases. Tacopina said he will no longer represent Mr. Trump in a criminal case in Manhattan related to alleged hush money payments or a separate appeal of a civil case. Tacopina is a frequent cable news commentator who has represented high-profile clients including rapper Meek Mill, former Yankees baseball star Alex Rodriguez, Donald Trump Jr.’s fiancée Kimberly Guilfoyle, Michael Jackson, and is currently representing rapper A$AP Rocky.

Tacopina confirmed to Reuters and The Hill that he has withdrawn from representing Trump in two of the former president’s ongoing legal battles.  Trump has pled not guilty to the charges, and will face a trial this year, although the  dates remain to be determined.  Tacopina also confirmed will no longer represent Trump in his appeal of a verdict in a civil case brought by writer E. Jean Carroll, who accused him of rape. A jury in May awarded Carroll $5 million after finding Trump liable for sexual assault and defamation (Trump has also maintained his innocence in that case.). Tacopina’s withdrawal comes one day before Carroll is set to take him to trial a second time seeking damages for defamation.  The shift in Trump’s legal team comes as Iowans are set to cast the first votes in the 2024 campaign, with Trump as an early favorite in the caucuses.

Trump spokesperson Steven Cheung said regarding Tacopina’s withdrawal in a statement: “President Trump has the most experienced, qualified, disciplined, and overall strongest legal team ever assembled as he continues to fight for America and Americans against these partisan, Crooked Joe Biden-led election interference hoaxes.” At least three members of Trump’s legal team in Florida stepped down after Trump was indicted in June on charges he unlawfully kept national-security documents when he left office.

Editorial credit: lev radin / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Country Daypop

Jon Pardi and wife Summer share gender of second baby with ‘pizza’ reveal

Jon Pardi and his wife, Summer Pardi posted a video on Instagram sharing the gender reveal for Baby No. 2. The couple welcomed their firstborn child, daughter Presley Fawn Pardi, in February 2023.

Summer captioned the video: “Jon said he knew it, i was definitely surprised” with the video showing Jon and Summer opening a box of pizza and at the count of three, they each pull a slice to reveal either pink or blue paper underneath. Jon, holding daughter Presley, exclaims, “oh!,” as he shows their nearly 1-year-old daughter the pink paper, revealing that she’ll have a baby sister soon.

The couple just announced they were expecting Baby No. 2 earlier this month, sharing a video showing the Pardi family walking through the framework of the new home they’re building, and added shots of Presley holding the sonogram images. Summer wrote in her caption: “Good thing we have that extra guest room 😉 we can’t wait to fill this home with all of the love from our little family of four 🤍.” Shortly after announcing her pregnancy, Summer posted a black-and-white photo on Instagram of her growing family, captioned: “Pardi, party of 4 😜🤍

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com