Categories
News Daypop

Prince Harry accused of ‘harassment and bullying’ by chair of his charity after Harry’s public resignation

The chairperson of an African charity co-founded by Prince Harry accused the royal of “harassment and bullying at scale” to try to force her out, after Harry abruptly announced his resignation last week. Sophie Chandauka is the chair of Sentebale, a charity that Harry co-founded in 2006 that was long aimed at helping children in southern Africa who have HIV/AIDS.

The Duke of Sussex resigned Tuesday as a patron of Sentebale, which he helped establish in honor of his late mother, Princess Diana, citing a breakdown in the relationships between board members and Chandauka. Harry and co-founder Prince Seeiso of Lesotho said in a joint statement that they quit “with heavy hearts” as patrons in solidarity with five trustees who resigned over an internal dispute with Chandauka, who refused to step down when asked. The stalemate reportedly involved a change in the organization’s mission. The princes said in their statement at the time: “It is devastating that the relationship between the charity’s trustees and the chair of the board broke down beyond repair, creating an untenable situation. What’s transpired is unthinkable. We are in shock that we have to do this, but we have a continued responsibility to Sentebale’s beneficiaries, so we will be sharing all of our concerns with the Charity Commission as to how this came about.”

However in an interview with Sky News that aired on Sunday, Chandauka cited Harry’s resignation statement as an “unleashing of the Sussex machine” against her and the organization’s employees. Chandauka described how the prince’s Netflix deal interfered with a scheduled fundraiser and how an incident with his wife, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, became a source of friction. She alleged there was misconduct at the charity, and said she had tried to blow the whistle on “abuse of power, bullying, harassment, misogyny and misogynoir.”

Chandauka also said: “At some point on Tuesday, Prince Harry authorized the release of a damaging piece of news to the outside world without informing me or my country directors or my executive director. And can you imagine what that attack has done for me, on me, and the 540 individuals in the Sentebale organizations and their family? That is an example of bullying and harassment at scale.”

Responding to Chandauka’s allegations, former Sentebale trustee Kelello Lerotholi said he was unaware of the issues she raised during his time on the board, telling Sky News: “The general tone and conduct of the board has been one of respect for each other, accommodating each other’s opinions and inputs, and speaking with respect to each other. So this all came as a shock to me when I heard.”

Editorial credit: B. Lenoir / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

Idaho man arrested after striking Tesla counter-protester with car

An Idaho man was arrested after allegedly striking a counter-protester with his car during a protest at a Tesla dealership Saturday. About 30 people were in attendance at the anti-Tesla rally outside a dealership on Franklin Road in Meridian, which also drew a counter-protest of about 200 other people. The Meridian Police Department said in a press release that the suspect, a 70-year-old man, was charged with aggravated assault.

Christopher Talbot, 70, of Meridian, allegedly “made an obscene gesture” toward a 49-year-old man who arrived at the Idaho rally, and then struck him with his car, according to law enforcement. Officials identified the man who was struck as a counter-protester, saying he had non-life-threatening injuries and that he drove himself to a nearby hospital.  The Meridian Police said that “reports indicate the victim had been driving a truck with pro-Trump flags and had just parked and exited his vehicle when Talbot struck him with his car. The victim drove himself to a local hospital, where he was treated and released (with) non-life-threatening injuries. The Meridian Police Department reminds people to respect everyone’s right to protest and express their 1st Amendment Rights without resorting to violence.”

Per NBC News, police used the license plate from Talbot’s vehicle to find his home, where he was later arrested. Talbot was booked into Ada County Jail and charged with one count of aggravated battery, a felony, according to the Ada County Sheriff’s Office.

Editorial credit: Kittyfly / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Country Daypop

Billy Strings joins Zach Top for ‘Me & Billy (Live)’ EP

Zach Top has released the three-song EPMe & Billy (Live),’ which sees the pair reimagining versions of Top’s original tracks “Bad Luck” and “Things To Do” along with a cover of Ricky Skaggs’ “Don’t Cheat In Our Home Town.”

Top shares: “We had a lot of fun, traded back and forth some playing and whatnot. It’s so fun to watch him play. And I feel like he’s known so much for a player that it gets passed over sometimes how freaking good of a singer he is too. It was so fun to get to sing with him and him kind enough to come in on a couple of my songs and sing a second verse, sing a little harmony, do that kind of thing. It was a blast.”

The new project follows Strings’ first live album, Live Vol. 1, which debuted at No. 1 on Billboard’s Bluegrass Albums chart and won Best Bluegrass Album at this year’s 67th Annual Grammy Awards.

Meanwhile, Top is serving as support on select dates of Alan Jackson’s “Last Call Tour,” and will join Dierks Bentley’s “Broken Branches Tour” beginning in May.

Stream Me & Billy (Live) – HERE.

Editorial credit: Adam Shanker / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Country Daypop

Jelly Roll to make acting debut on the CBS series ‘Fire Country’

Singer-songwriter Jelly Roll will make his acting debut in the CBS series Fire Country, with his guest-starring episode set to air April 11.

A new promo video for the episode features Jelly Roll and series star/creator Max Thieriot, with Jelly sharing: “From the stage to the fire line, it’s time to see if I can keep up,” later turning to Thieriot, and saying with a chuckle, “Man, this is tougher than the Grammys.”

Jelly Roll previously made a cameo as himself in Taylor Sheridan’s Tulsa King; but the upcoming appearance on Fire Country marks his first-ever fictional role onscreen, where he will portray a hospital orderly named Noah.

Jelly Roll also isn’t the first country artist to portray a role on Fire Country; Kane Brown also made his acting debut on the program in 2023, playing a character named Robin, a train hopper who ends up aiding victims who were injured in a crash.

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Jelly Roll to make acting debut on the CBS series ‘Fire Country’

Singer-songwriter Jelly Roll will make his acting debut in the CBS series Fire Country, with his guest-starring episode set to air April 11.

A new promo video for the episode features Jelly Roll and series star/creator Max Thieriot, with Jelly sharing: “From the stage to the fire line, it’s time to see if I can keep up,” later turning to Thieriot, and saying with a chuckle, “Man, this is tougher than the Grammys.”

Jelly Roll previously made a cameo as himself in Taylor Sheridan’s Tulsa King; but the upcoming appearance on Fire Country marks his first-ever fictional role onscreen, where he will portray a hospital orderly named Noah.

Jelly Roll also isn’t the first country artist to portray a role on Fire Country; Kane Brown also made his acting debut on the program in 2023, playing a character named Robin, a train hopper who ends up aiding victims who were injured in a crash.

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Entertainment Daypop

Richard Chamberlain star of ‘Dr. Kildare,’ ‘Shogun’ dies at 90

Legendary television actor Richard Chamberlain, the star of TV’s ‘Dr. Kildare’ and perhaps best known for his roles in the miniseries “Shogun” and “The Thorn Birds,” has died at the age of 90. Chamberlain’s publicist Harlan Boll confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that the actor died Saturday, March 29, in Waimanalo, Hawai’i of complications following a stroke; just two days shy of his 91st birthday.

Chamberlain’s longtime partner, Martin Rabbett, said in a statement: “Our beloved Richard is with the angels now. He is free and soaring to those loved ones before us. How blessed were we to have known such an amazing and loving soul. Love never dies. And our love is under his wings lifting him to his next great adventure.”

Chamberlain rose to fame as the lead in the TV show “Dr. Kildare,” which earned him the first of three Golden Globes. He went on to star in notable films including “Petulia,” The Three Musketeers,” “The Music Lovers,” “The Last Wave,” “King Solomon’s Mines,” and “Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold.”

Chamberlain moved onto further popularity when he became known as “King of the Miniseries” first starring in James Michener’s 12-episode saga Centennial, which aired on NBC in 1978-79, as well as the hit miniseries “Shogun,” (based on James Clavell’s novel) in 1980, and “The Thorn Birds,” based on Colleen McCullough’s best-seller (1983). Chamberlain won Golden Globes for his work in “Shogun” and “The Thorn Birds.”

In 2003, Chamberlain came out as gay in his memoir, “Shattered Love,” saying “I can talk about it now because I’m not afraid anymore. When I grew up, being gay, being a sissy or anything like that, was verboten. I disliked myself intensely and feared this part of myself intensely and had to hide it.”

As of press time, funeral services had not been announced. Donations in Chamberlain’s name can be made to NPR or to the Hawaiian Humane Society.

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

Department of Health and Human Services to cut 10,000 workers

The Department of Health and Human Services confirmed on Thursday that 10,000 full-time employees will soon lose their jobs, coming on top of the nearly 10,000 who have already left the agency in the last few months through buyout offers or early retirements. The agency oversees the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, among other divisions.

Amid an executive order from President Donald Trump to downsize federal agencies, the HHS announced the plans to cut 10,000 employees, stating it will undergo a “dramatic restructuring in accordance” with the executive order issued in February that federal agencies need to reduce their workforces. Other employees may be offered early retirement or deferred resignation, which the agency said will reduce its total workforce from 82,000 to 62,000 full-time employees.

HHS further stated that this personnel reduction will “save taxpayers $1.8 billion per year, and streamline the functions of the Department,” making the agency “more responsive and efficient, while ensuring that Medicare, Medicaid, and other essential health services remain intact.” The HHS also noted it will employ a new effort toward “ending America’s epidemic of chronic illness by focusing on safe, wholesome food, clean water, and the elimination of environmental toxins.”

HHS Secretary Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. said in a statement on Thursday that “we aren’t just reducing bureaucratic sprawl. We are realigning the organization with its core mission and our new priorities in reversing the chronic disease epidemic.  Over time, bureaucracies like HHS become wasteful and inefficient even when most of their staff are dedicated and competent civil servants. This overhaul will be a win-win for taxpayers and for those that HHS serves. That’s the entire American public, because our goal is to Make America Healthy Again.”

Editorial credit: Ringo Chiu / Shutterstock.com

Categories
News Daypop

Pres. Trump withdraws nomination of Rep. Elise Stefanik for U.N. ambassador

On Thursday, President Donald Trump withdrew his nomination of Rep. Elise Stefanik as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. Trump cited the slight margin that majority Republicans hold in the House of Representatives for his decision to pull Stefanik from consideration for the U.N. post, with the president saying he’s asked her to remain in Congress.

CBS News, who was first to report that Trump was considering withdrawing Stefanik’s nomination, said that the nomination was in jeopardy as GOP pressure mounted for her to back away from the position.  Republicans hold a narrow majority in the House with 218 seats, while Democrats hold 213 seats, with four vacant seats currently.

Trump wrote on Truth Social:  “As we advance our America First Agenda, it is essential that we maintain EVERY Republican Seat in Congress. We must be unified to accomplish our Mission, and Elise Stefanik has been a vital part of our efforts from the very beginning. I have asked Elise, as one of my biggest Allies, to remain in Congress to help me deliver Historic Tax Cuts, GREAT Jobs, Record Economic Growth, a Secure Border, Energy Dominance, Peace Through Strength, and much more, so we can MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN. With a very tight Majority, I don’t want to take a chance on anyone else running for Elise’s seat. The people love Elise and, with her, we have nothing to worry about come Election Day. There are others that can do a good job at the United Nations. Therefore, Elise will stay in Congress, rejoin the House Leadership Team, and continue to fight for our amazing American People. Speaker Johnson is thrilled! I look forward to the day when Elise is able to join my Administration in the future. She is absolutely FANTASTIC. Thank you Elise!”

The surprise development is a significant blow to Stefanik, a Trump loyalist and rising star in the party. There was little doubt Stefanik would have the votes to be confirmed, and her nomination was advanced by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Jan. 30.

Trump announced on Nov. 11, 2024 that he selected Stefanik, 40, to represent the United States at the UN, praising her as “an incredibly strong, tough and smart America First fighter.” Stefanik, a New York Republican, was elected to Congress in 2014 and rose to House GOP leadership to be the highest-ranking Republican woman in the House.  She served as chair of the House Republican Conference from May 2021 to Jan. 2025, stepping down from the House GOP leadership post after being picked to serve in the administration..

Editorial credit: Maxim Elramsisy / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Country Daypop

Nominations for 60th ACM Awards are announced

The Academy of Country Music announced the nominations for the 60th Academy of Country Music Awards. The upcoming ceremony, hosted by Reba McEntire, will take place on Thursday, May 8th at 8 pm ET/5 pm PT from Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas, streaming live on Prime Video.

First-time nominee Ella Langley scored eight nominations including Female Artist of the Year, New Female Artist of the Year, and six nominations for her song with Riley Green, “You Look Like You Love Me,” which include Single of the Year, Song of the Year as an artist and songwriter, Music Event of the Year, and Visual Media of the Year as an artist and director.

Cody Johnson earned seven nominations, including his second nomination for Entertainer of the Year, and his third year in a row being nominated for Song of the Year with “Dirt Cheap”, as well as Single of the Year and Visual Media of the Year. Johnson is competing with himself in Visual Media of the Year, as his collaboration with Carrie Underwood, “I’m Gonna Love You” was also nominated.

Morgan Wallen also earned seven nominations, including his third consecutive nomination for Entertainer of the Year. Wallen received four nominations for his collaboration with Post Malone on “I Had Some Help,” which includes three artist nominations and one songwriter nomination for Wallen.

Lainey Wilson was nominated in six separate categories, including her first nomination for Artist-Songwriter of the Year. Wilson’s nominations for Song of the Year mark her fourth consecutive year being nominated and her seventh total nomination (including artist and songwriter credits) in the category.

Shaboozey received his first ACM Award nominations, including a nomination for Best New Male Artist and Single of the Year for his record-breaking hit song “A Bar Song (Tipsy).”  Additional first-time artist nominees include Gavin Adcock, Dasha, Noah Kahan, Ella Langley, Jessie Murph, Muscadine Bloodline, Zach Top, The Red Clay Strays, Treaty Oak Revival, and Tucker Wetmore.

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com

Categories
Country Daypop

Parmalee drops their track ‘Feels Like Home’

Parmalee has shared the track “Feels Like Home,” co-written by Matt Thomas, David Fanning, Ashley Gorley, Beau Bailey and Ned Cameron.

The band shares of the song: “We’ve always believed that music can transport someone to a place where they feel like they belong, where they feel right at home. We also believe that the right person can do that too. That’s what this song is about. That one who makes you feel right at home when you’re with them. We wanted to make sure to keep the energy going with this one and make sure everyone could sing along with us, just like all the songs that have connected us with our fans!”

“Feels Like Home” is the second track released from Parmalee’s forthcoming new album Fell In Love With A Cowgirl, available April 4th, with the seven-track collection being the first part of a two-album series. Pre-order the new LP: HERE.

Take a listen to Parmalee’s Feels Like Home HERE.

Editorial credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com